Man’s Search for Meaning is one of the all-time great books on life meaning and purpose by Viktor Frankl. First published in 1946, Frankl chronicles his experiences as a prisoner in Nazi concentration camps during World War II.
When faced with unimaginable suffering, there are four differing approaches one could take; 1) to give up and resign oneself to fate 2) turn to religion 3) spiritualize the circumstances 4) find practical purpose and meaning in life, then immersively imagine a positive outcome.
Through the experiences as outlined in the book, Frankl takes the 4th option, to find practical purpose and meaning in life, immersively imagine a positive outcome, then help others do the same.
According to Frankl, meaning can be found through:
- Experiencing reality by interacting authentically with the environment and with others,
- Giving something back to the world through creativity and self-expression, and
- Changing our attitude when faced with a situation or circumstance that we cannot change.
Book Summary Mind Map
Book Summary Video
Resources & References
- A Deep & Detailed Summary by Sloww > https://www.sloww.co/mans-search-for-meaning/
- Man’s Search for Meaning on Amazon.com > https://www.amazon.com/Mans-Search-Meaning-Viktor-Frankl-ebook/dp/B009U9S6FI
- Meaning as a cure for depression and other ills from Psychology Today > https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/hide-and-seek/201205/mans-search-meaning
- Mind Map by Nicholas Tuck > https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=2ahUKEwil8cP3sqPnAhVUXHwKHXkcAxwQFjABegQICBAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mindmeister.com%2F1041427108%2Fman-s-search-for-meaning-book-notes&usg=AOvVaw10RJ8Y9YOLiFkdJMrz3sr4
Leadership Advocate and Co-Founder of the Goldzone Group. I help leaders to master the new rules of leadership for the new economy. Over the past 30 years, I have visited over 500 cities in 54 countries to explore, learn from, and help many of the world’s leading companies, leaders, and luminaries in the fields of science, technology, health, finance, entrepreneurship, and leadership.